Sunday, June 17, 2012

Maddiy Duan, Just "A Little Different"

Happy Father's Day, everyone!!

I hope you are all enjoying your day (or did enjoy your day) with your Dad. Josh, my husband, and I are going to my parent's house later for some delicious dinner...

By the way...my Dad...is the best cook ever.

Don't argue with me. You have not eaten this man's steak. 

He wins. Period. 

I am so grateful for my father and all that he has done for me in my life...he not only met the requirements that an average parent must meet, but he exceeded them with me especially, given the fact that he had a child with Autism. I had no idea how much my parents had done for me until I was older...they couldn't go on vacations together because I had too many needs that couldn't really be handled by a babysitter, so often they would go on vacation by themselves without the rest of my family.  He took every chance he could to travel outside of the country for work so that he could help pay for all my medical bills, plus just to support our family. 
Caring for an autistic child in this country seems to burn holes in a lot of pockets for many  Americans...and yet so many more families as time goes by are being effected by autism. 

Wanna hear some scary statistics?

1 in every 88 children for the year 2012 are being diagnosed with Autism

1 in every 54 boys are being diagnosed with Autism

Autism costs the U.S $137 BILLION a year

...Wow

Those numbers are INSANE! In 2008, Autism was up 23% since 2006 and 78% since 2002. They still don't know enough about Autism to know why exactly this is happening. People have many theories about it being an environmental factor, people still blame vaccines (which, from what I hear, has proven to be false), etc. The truth is, no one has a for sure answer. Thankfully, there are many generous charities and causes being made towards Autism research...

But people still don't have the money to afford therapies...

Thankfully, my father has a job that provided him with pretty good health insurance, but it still wasn't totally enough to cover all the costs that treatments are priced at. It's truly heart breaking to me to think about how many families now have children with Autism, and how without support of outside help, donations, churches, etc., that families would feel at a total loss of hope not knowing if their child was going to be O.K.
My parents said that they just always hoped I was going to be ok. The doctor couldn't predict what would happen to me later in life...but he said I'd be ok. I'd just be "a little different", as he put it, "but who isn't a little different?" If you are a parent of a child with Autism, and you aren't sure what's going to happen...I will tell you right now, no matter what, it is going to be ok. 

Turns out the Doctor was right. I'm just "a little different".

If that's what you want to call it...

"Different".

As a child, I wanted to be different in a way that didn't make me a huge weirdo...which was all I really felt like. I wanted to be known for something that made me cool, drumming to the beat of my own drum without being an outcast. This turned into me trying to find ways to be different that really turned out to be impulsive, attention seeking behavior. I'd watch movies with people that were a little off kilter, but they owned what they had and they made something of themselves. I wanted to be that person, but not have it have anything to do with being autistic.

I wanted to be accepted

Like "Hey Arnold!". He had a football head. But people loved him, and he did things that helped his friends out and generally made his world a better place to live in.

SO BADASS.


I read this book when I was in about 2nd or 3rd grade that was about the life story of Dave Dravecky, written by Tim Stafford. If you don't know who Dave is, he is a Christian motivational speaker, author, and former Major League Baseball player for the San Diego Padres (1982–87) and San Francisco Giants (1987–89). He is known for his battle against cancer, which ended his career as his team was reaching the 1989 World Series. His autobiography called "Comeback" gives great detail about his battle with cancer and how his arm and left shoulder needed to be amputated. It's a very motivating and inspiring book that I read as a kid...and so I thought I would write Mr. Dravecky a letter telling him how awesome I thought he was.

...A very...creative...letter.


Cute, right?

My parents found the letter that I was sending to Mr. Dravecky in the mailbox. Suspicious as to who I was sending a letter to, they opened the letter and read it. They, after a huge laugh to themselves, came to me and explained why I couldn't send this letter to Dave Dravecky, in fear that he would send people to our house looking for the girl with the missing foot from a shark attack. My dad, to this day, had the letter in the pocket of one of his coats.
Through my many experiences looking for acceptance, my parents were people who always accepted me as I was. They never once have wished that I wasn't autistic, because in a way, it has brought many blessings into our lives...

LIKE THIS BLOG, FOR EXAMPLE! :D

I've always been "a little different" but later in life I came to understand that I was using autism for something special. I have a better sense of compassion for people who are also, "a little different". I think this blog is already reaching people who have autism and they are probably glad that someone is speaking out about it. I also have come to have talents that I don't think would be as cool if I didn't have autism.
My life was nothing short of hard. At times it was sad, scary, but on the other side, my brain had to learn how to get through those hard ships, which of course I couldn't have without all the support systems in my life. I had to struggle to get through it all. Isn't that what life is about? It's like having any other kind of disease...there is greener grass on the other side, a silver lining. With downfalls come blessings. My joy in my life is only as great as the pain I experienced. Dave Dravecky went through a lot of harships, but used them to help inspire people to strive for better in life, and to turn the dirt in our lives into something beautiful.
All in all, I am just grateful for my Dad who has supported me and pushed for me to live the best life possible...

Even if it's "a little different"

I know, I know...abuse of quotation marks AND transition boldness...

And the word "different". I know.

Here's my wrap up, ladies and gents...

Again...Happy Father's Day!

Love you, Dad...this one's for you :)

Thank you. Those words will NEVER be enough.

-Maddie <3









1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, Maddie! You have become such a wonderful young woman. It has been a joy to watch you grow up. I know your parents are very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete